Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The short long weekend

We had a whole extra day so why do I still feel like I didn’t have enough time for everything?  Enough time to rest, to socialize, to be productive, and to have quality family time?  I crammed in a little of all of that, but I definitely could’ve used another 24 hours to concentrate mostly on that first thing up there on the list.

We stayed in Friday night and I did some baking (more on that in a minute) before an early bedtime.  I was up early Saturday morning with Connor then headed to the Y for my class.  That afternoon was hanging out at the house, no-baking one more treat, then we headed over to Ryan and Sandra’s house for a Memorial Day cookout.  Connor took two good naps that day so we were able to stay at their house until 9:30 or so before we scooted home and put him to bed.

Sunday was mostly socializing.  I slept in, got laundry started, then Heather picked me up for our lunch-and-a-movie afternoon with her daughters and Vickie.  We saw Pitch Perfect 2.  What a fun movie!  It was totally worth the “deal” of $8.10 – yes, eight dollars AND TEN CENTS – to see the movie in the theater.

When I got home, our friends AJ and Maritza were there with their dogs and they were playing with Monte in the backyard.  AJ and Maritza weren’t just there for canine company; they also shared with us that they are expecting their first baby!  We are very excited for them.

Yesterday was a fun day.  Yes, I did get stuff done around the house, but the McHusband, Connor, and I also had lunch outside before playing in a nearby park for a bit.  A stop at Walmart on the way home then Connor took a nap and I baked some mini muffins and did some cleaning (yay for finally mopping my kitchen floor!).  My bathroom and Monte also got scrubbed – it’s a toss-up which of those needed it more.

All in all, it was a very nice long weekend that went by way too quickly.  I was very happy to have the extra time with Connor who has really come into his own lately with his little personality.  We practiced his words and his walking and we laughed at all his antics.  I’m going to miss spending that time with him today while I’m at work.

But enough of all my rambling.  Let’s talk about food for a minute!  Sandra said something peanut butter and chocolate would be a good treat and I know she’s not one to like things that are overly sweet (I know, but we’ll overlook that character flaw Smile).  So I opted for these Peanut Butter Cookie Cheesecake Bars.  It was one of the best decisions I’ve made in a long time.  The bars were delicious!

DSC_4625

They were tasty right out of the fridge, and they were tasty after sitting out a while when they were a little softer.

DSC_4628

I used peanut butter chips and those peanut butter-filled chocolate chips as my mix-ins, then I used only melted peanut butter chips drizzled on top.  Yum, yum, yum!

DSC_4627

The recipe calls for making these in an 8” pan, but I used a 9x13 pan and baked these for 29 minutes, I think.  I thought they were plenty thick made this way.

DSC_4626

No fewer than 5 people asked me about these bars, saying how amazing they were.  So don’t just take my word for it – believe the strangers who I can’t even prove existed.

DSC_4629

{Recipe adapted from here}

PS  Happy belated birthday to Maxie!  She turned four yesterday.  Talk about time flying…

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Those bars are going to be next on my list! They look yum! And could you have possible crammed anything else into your weekend? I'm tired after just reading this post!