Monday, September 22, 2014

{Recipe Recap} Breakfast Goodies

That’s really only one breakfast food.  The other is dessert but there are apples and cinnamon and cake that isn’t overly sweet involved so I deemed it appropriate for brunch.

{Quick note: I only took these few pictures with my phone, but don’t let that dissuade you from making either of these.  They were each good enough to warrant a full post with lots of pictures.}

First up, I made some baked oatmeal with strawberries.  I figured it’d be pretty good, but it was downright delicious.

20140920_084910

I don’t think it was too bad for us since it didn’t use any oil and just had a tablespoon of butter in the whole thing, but I think I could decrease the brown sugar to 1/3 cup and it would still be very good.

The McHusband said he’d like me to make this again using peaches.  I think it’s a fair request so I think I probably will try his suggestion.

20140920_084935

That was Saturday’s breakfast.  That night, I made the cake for a Women’s Night brunch on Sunday.  Our hostesses switched things up and instead of having us gather on a Friday night (as will be the case next month when I host), they opted to do brunch.  (For those of you who don’t know, we ladies in the neighborhood try to get together once a month or so to catch up and hang out. Sometimes we tie it into a holiday.)

I saw this recipe last week and filed it away because I knew I already had everything necessary to make it, even the apple pie filling.

20140921_155935

This gets major points for being easy to throw together.  I love a recipe that uses melted butter instead of softened or browned.  The layers were: simple cake on the bottom, apple pie filling, cinnamon-brown sugar “filling,” and finally a vanilla glaze.  With all that going on, you’d think the flavor would be practically jumping off your plate, but I found this treat to be a little bland considering everything it had to offer.

20140921_155945

I would put it in the “pretty good” category but probably wouldn’t make it again.  However, no one who tried it had any complaints to share with me so maybe it was just me.  Or they were just being nice, which certainly is possible.

I did stuff other than bake this weekend.  I got in a short workout Saturday morning while Connor napped.  He woke up before I finished so I had to end early, but something was better than nothing.  After we all ate lunch, we took Monte up to the park since it was hosting a Dog Days in the Park event.  All that fresh air led to a nap for ALL of us when we got home.

On Sunday, I had a lot to do before the brunch at 11:00 so Connor and I were pulling up to Walmart by 7:45 in the morning.  That might be my new favorite time to go!  Once home from getting groceries, I vacuumed upstairs, did laundry, and got our dinner in the crockpot before brunch, then that afternoon it was more cleaning and laundry.  I actually got the hardwoods and kitchen mopped (but let’s not talk about the dusting I didn’t do).

All in all, a pretty good weekend and it was nice to catch up with some of the ladies in the ‘hood after the summer hiatus that Women’s Night took.

{Oatmeal recipe from Seriously Delish via Cookies & Cups}

{Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie Cake}

No comments: