Wednesday, April 2, 2014

{Recipe Recap} Bananas Foster Pound Cake

This is a day late.  I had plans to write about this pound cake Sunday evening, but Connor had other plans for my time.  I started bedtime with a bath at 6:40.  I think it ultimately took us about three hours (and some crying on both our parts) before he was officially in bed.  As bad as Sunday was, Monday night was the complete opposite – he went down without any fuss.  Fingers crossed that we get more nights like that, especially with me being back at work next week.

But enough about that, let’s talk about something more fun: cake! 

DSC_0458

As usual, I had some overripe bananas on my counter and I wanted to make something other than banana bread with them.  I don’t know why, but I decided a pound cake was the way to go so off to Google I went.

DSC_0461

I chose the recipe that had rum both in the cake AND in the frosting.  However, I opted not to let the rum also soak into the cake; instead, I baked it in as the recipe directed and used some in the frosting.

PC1

The cake was pretty good.  I liked the texture of it – it was dense like a pound cake is supposed to be and the outer layer had that telltale crust on it.

PC3

The frosting though?  I could’ve eaten it by the spoonful.  And, okay, I might’ve actually done so.

PC7

PC2

I made both a regular-sized Bundt cake and a smaller one from this recipe.  I sent the majority of the big one into the office with the McHusband and we kept the smaller one, the one I took pictures of, at home.  I don’t have a small cake plate so I improvised with a dinner plate and a bowl turned upside down.

DSC_0460

The pro AND con to this set-up is that it was awkward to get the bowl up off the plate.  You had to really want the cake to go to the effort to get it.  So the upside is that it kept me from just mindlessly cutting a slice every time I walked by.  The downside is that when I did decide I wanted some, I had to work to get it.

PC6

If you have some forgotten bananas and you want something a little more decadent than banana bread, give this pound cake a try.  But whatever you do, don’t forgo the frosting!

PC5

Happy Hump Day!

P.S. Happy belated birthday to Bruce, whose birthday was yesterday.  (Disclaimer: Neither Bruce nor the McHusband dress like this on a normal basis.  We were in our trailer-trash best that night.)

0908121950a

{Recipe slightly adapted from here}

No comments: