Tuesday, March 18, 2014

{Recipe Recap} Cinnamon Spice Applesauce Bread

Connor and I visited my office last week.  You probably won’t be surprised to know that I shared a baked good with them.  I figured after three weeks, my coworkers had to be missing out on the homemade carbtastic goodies they both loved and hated me for.

DSC_0133

I know the bread doesn’t look like much and even appears that it might be healthy.  But I promise, I wouldn’t do that to you.  I try to save my health-conscious ways for the “real” food we eat. 

DSC_0137

That being said, I did throw some apple chunks in the batter.  You know my general stance on fruit desserts – you can keep ‘em! – but fruit’s okay in quick breads and apples in particular get a bit of a pardon from my rule.  I’d still rather have chocolate or caramel or Biscoff, but every once in a while I branch out and throw some apples into my flour, sugar, and butter.

DSC_0135

The recipe didn’t call for the apples so if you aren’t a fan of chunks in your bread or you simply don’t have the time to dice up an apple, then don’t worry about it.  The bread will still be good, although the McHusband did say after eating this that he thinks I should add apple pieces to more goodies.

DSC_0136

I was a little surprised that this bread wasn’t more flavorful thanks to  the cinnamon and nutmeg.  Maybe it’s because I used plain applesauce although I did add more cinnamon as suggested to compensate.  I still thought the bread was very good, I just think the spice factor could’ve been amped up a bit.

DSC_0134

Would I make this bread again?  Definitely!  But I’d play around with the spices (maybe use some apple pie spice?) to make it a touch more flavorful.

DSC_0138

Real quick: Happy Day-After-St.-Patrick’s-Day!  You know a little boy named Connor Patrick had to have a special outfit just for the holiday.

0317141409

Unfortunately I don’t think his outfit brought him particularly good luck since he had to get his second Hep B shot yesterday.   That wasn’t fun for either of us.  Connor tried to be strong and showed me how tough he was (Check out that bicep!), but he was no match for that nurse and her needle.

0317141454a

Speaking of the McBaby, I’ll have a one-month post on him…hopefully this week.  But I make no promises.

{Recipe adapted from here}

1 comment:

McGrammie said...

Looks like he is getting an Irish beer gut on him!.....what a cute little leprechaun! Grammie