Monday, February 3, 2014

{Recipe Recap} Ham, Sweet Potato, and White Bean Soup with Bacon

I’m going to keep this post short and savory.  I did bake several treats this weekend, but two were repeats and I’ll share the new one after I’ve had a chance to try it.  So on this Monday, you get soup.

0202141913a

The crockpot did most of the work.  But I chopped the sweet potato and onion and baked the bacon that got sprinkled on top.

I’ve only recently added an immersion blender to my arsenal of kitchen tools, and I gotta tell you guys, I regret not getting one much sooner.  That thing rocks!  I used to blend soup in batches in my blender, then I had to put that portion in a separate bowl until everything in the pot was blended.  Then it all went back in the pot to warm up.  So that was extra time and extra dirty pots and lots of extra dribbles of soup on the counter.

The McHusband and I both liked this soup.  I’m not the biggest fan of ham, but I didn’t mind it in this soup.  I actually added about a cup and a half of cooked quinoa to the soup to thicken it and just make it that much more of a meal on its own. And the bacon!  That’s like frosting on a cake.  If you make this soup, do NOT skip the bacon.

0202141913b

I also made some cornbread to go along with our soup and I liked the flavor of it, but I think the recipe called for it to be baked too long at that temperature because it was a touch overbaked and not as moist as I would’ve liked even with me taking it out a little early.

We had a busy and productive weekend, which is why I needed my crockpot to handle dinner for me on Sunday.  Guess what’s ready?  The nursery!  Yep, the McHusband got all his caulking done, we got the furniture in place, and I got the room organized and ready for the McBaby.  It still needs some finishing touches like decorating the walls, but it’s looking pretty good.  Hopefully I’ll have a post with pictures for you later this week.

Hmm, guess this post didn’t end up all that short after all.

{Soup adapted from here}

No comments: