Monday, February 10, 2014

{Recipe Recap} Browned Butter Cinnamon Sugar Cookie Bars

Another productive weekend thanks to the McBaby’s imminent arrival.  We went out to dinner with friends Friday night and I got my cheeseburger-and-fry fix.  On Saturday, the McHusband and I went to the Carolina Theatre and saw Defending the Caveman, which was a one-man “show.”  I say “show” because he was kinda like a stand-up comic, but his routine was presented a little like a play.  He was pretty entertaining.  Before we headed to Durham that afternoon, we set up the tripod on the patio and snapped a few photos.

DSC_9767

Sunday was my day for chores and baking and making what may be our last pre-baby homemade (by me) Sunday-night dinner.

We had Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf, steamed cauliflower, and edamame.  I made the meatloaf once before and I think the cook time was wrong so it was a little dry.  This time, I used my meat thermometer and pulled the meatloaf out at 40 minutes and it was great.

DSC_9799

So I have a coworker whose birthday is the 17th.  Between the baby and the fact that the 17th is a company holiday, I wanted to bring his birthday treat a little early.

DSC_9782

I chose these bars because Jamie likes cinnamon.  And, well, so do I.

DSC_9789

At first, I thought maybe these bars were going to lose points for being too cakey, but they proved me wrong.  They weren’t overly gooey, they weren’t too dry, they were just right.

DSC_9783

I threw some white chocolate chips in along with the cinnamon chips.  I’m not sure they were necessary, but I like the way they look.

The cinnamon-sugar mixture on top made the bars a little crackly and of course amped up the cinnamon flavor.

DSC_9785

The recipe calls for browning the butter first rather than just melting it.  If you don’t feel like taking the time to do that, I think they would still be fabulous with non-browned butter.

One last picture, a behind-the-scenes look at my little photoshoot this afternoon.

DSC_9791

Morgan is a professional napper, she doesn’t let anything get in the way of her snoozin’.

After my baking and picture-taking, I got busy around the house.  My toilets are scrubbed, my floors are vacuumed, swept, and mopped, animal beds are washed, and my laundry is done.  So if the McBaby comes this week, at least the house is clean.  And if he doesn’t, well, at least it won’t be that hard to clean the house again next weekend.

Hope your week’s off to a great start!

{Recipe here}

No comments: