Friday, February 7, 2014

38 weeks

How your baby's growing: Your baby has really plumped up. He weighs about 6.8 pounds and is over 19 1/2 inches long (about the size of a leek). He has a firm grasp, which you'll soon be able to test when you hold his hand for the first time! His organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb.

Wondering what color your baby's eyes will be? You may not be able to tell right away. If he's born with brown eyes, they'll likely stay brown. If he's born with steel gray or dark blue eyes, they may stay gray or blue or turn green, hazel, or brown by the time he's 9 months old. That's because a child's irises (the colored part of the eye) may gain more pigment in the months after he's born, but they usually won't get "lighter" or more blue. (Green, hazel, and brown eyes have more pigment than gray or blue eyes.)

How mom is changing: Some swelling in your feet and ankles is normal during these last weeks (yes, I have noticed a little), but call your practitioner without delay if you notice excessive or sudden swelling of your feet or ankles, more than slight swelling of your hands, any swelling in your face or puffiness around your eyes, or have a sudden weight gain.

38w2d

Most recent doctor’s appointment: Nothing exciting to report. My belly measured 34 centimeters, which is smaller than you’d normally expect because the number of centimeters normally corresponds, within 2, to the number of weeks pregnant you are. The doctor said my number was down because the baby is low and definitely on the move into the birth canal. My weight went up by one pound, which I’m okay with. If you had seen the amount of pizza, chips, ice cream (with caramel sauce!), and garlic-butter sauce I ate on Saturday, you’d be surprised that it was just one pound.  The doctor guesstimated that the baby will be about 7 1/2 pounds when he’s born.

How I’m feeling: Generally good. I vacuumed on Sunday and my back quickly reminded me that it doesn’t enjoy that activity. I’m more tired this week than I have been in a while, and I’ve been having what I guess are Braxton-Hicks contractions, but they aren’t regular nor very painful, just kinda annoying.

Workouts: Good this week. I made it to the Y on Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday when I went to a spin class, and last night for my muscle conditioning class.  I’d like to have the same schedule next week but we’ll just have to see what’s going on and how I’m feeling.

38w3d

38w3d front

(I don’t normally even take my phone into the Y let alone take selfies in the locker room, but I thought last night might be my last chance to document my active pregnancy.)

Food cravings/aversions: I’m not necessarily craving it, but before I’m done being pregnant, I want to eat a cheeseburger and all the fries that come with it without the side of guilt that’d normally accompany a meal like that.

Sleep: Falling asleep quickly and sleeping better in general except that I can pretty much count on having to get up once to go to the bathroom. Luckily, once I get back in bed, I’m typically back in dreamland without much difficulty.

Movement: The McBaby’s still very active, and he gets the hiccups at least once a day. I told a coworker that it’s no wonder babies get so upset when they have the hiccups – those things are annoying.  I can tell he’s running out of room though because sometimes he literally moves my lowest right rib with his movements.

Belly button in or out: Pretty much all out.

Rings on or off: On and fitting fine.

Recent fun or interesting things: We finished the baby’s room!

Miss anything?: Easily tying my shoes. Not wondering if I’ll be at work the next day because it’s just a given that I will be.

38w2d feet

2 comments:

Gma said...

Not sure what it is about pictures, but your tummy looks bigger in photos than what it is in real life.

Another week to go - maybe the McBean could choose the 12th so that we can keep the 1.2 birthdays. Or, I'm sure Livvie wouldn't mind sharing her birthday with new Baby Boy Cousin - think he'd mind hanging in there until the 21st?

Grammie said...

Or we can beg for the 24th...Grammies BD!