Tuesday, May 14, 2013

{Recipe Recap} Snickers Brownies

A while back, Shawn was eating some treat I’d made and he made his birthday request: something inspired by or stuffed with or at the very least topped with Snickers.  I saw a cake that I was planning to make, but I decided that wasn’t quite right.  Knowing I was going to take this dessert to Chili’s to share, I needed something easily portable and shareable.  Sounds like a batch of bars to me!

DSC_5650

I cobbled these together from three different recipes, four if you count the instructions on the back of the box of brownie mix.

The nougat came from Jessica’s homemade Snickers bars.  It’s sorta like a really soft version of my peanut butter fudge but less peanut-buttery and with nuts.

DSC_5648

Topping the nougat is a homemade salted caramelI used this before in a tart, and I knew it would work perfectly as a layer of these bars.

DSC_5645

I could’ve gone with a simple milk chocolate ganache on top, which the McHusband would have preferred, but since this treat was for Shawn, I had to use dark chocolate.  I remembered a caramel chocolate ganache from some cupcakes I made at New Year’s and knew that’s what I needed to use to top off these delicious bars.

DSC_5647

These were FAB.U.LOUS, if I do say so myself.  I know I can’t take credit for coming up with the recipes for all the parts, but I think I did pretty good putting them all together the way I did.  And I wasn’t the only one.  The birthday boy was very happy, too, as evidenced by his text the next day when he was eating his leftovers.

2013-05-13 22.15.02

None of the parts were difficult to make, but assembly took a little while just because stuff had to cool in between.  I probably wouldn’t opt to make these during the week.  However, having tasted these things, I can vouch for the fact that it’d be worth giving up a whole evening to make them.

DSC_5649

{Nougat}

{Caramel}

{Ganache}

No comments: