Thursday, May 30, 2013

{Recipe Recap} Peanut Butter Cookies with Bacon?!

Vanessa’s birthday was last week and a group of us went out to dinner then to Rum Runner’s, the dueling piano bar, on Saturday to celebrate.

You know I can’t let a birthday go by without baking up a little something.  I know Vanessa likes peanut butter cookies and everyone knows she LOVES bacon so I decided to put the two of them together.

DSC_5803

BTW, exactly how much does Vanessa like bacon?  I gave her a card with bacon on it and baked bacon into cookies, and Bruce and Heather gave her a big ol’ bag of cooked bacon.  The best part is that Heather and I didn’t coordinate at all, it just worked out to be a baconstravaganza of a birthday.

DSC_5800

Back to the cookies.  I took a recipe I’d made before and doubled it then added bacon, which I’d baked earlier in the day, to half the dough and left the other half plain.

DSC_5789

I’ve decided that all cookies need a dash of salt on them so I sprinkled both sea salt and sugar on top.

DSC_5791

I was hoping the bacon would prove to be the savory addition that I didn’t know peanut butter cookies needed, but I have to say that wasn’t the case.  While the bacon didn’t take away from the deliciousness of these cookies, I didn’t feel like it really added anything either.

DSC_5798

These cookies baked up just how I like them: soft and chewy, dense and not cakey.

DSC_5799

I didn’t criss-cross these with a fork as is the norm with peanut butter cookies. 

DSC_5804

I’m glad I didn’t; these cookies are perfect in my eyes.  They are thick and I love all the cracks.

DSC_5805

So what’s the verdict?  Add the bacon or leave it out, just make these peanut butter cookies.

PBcookies

{Recipe here}

No comments: