Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Recipe Recap: Hot Chocolate Cookies

I made these cookies because we went to Heather and Bruce’s for dinner on Saturday.  Chelle and Jeremy did the appetizers; Bruce and Heather grilled chicken and steamed some broccoli; and I made Cajun Roasted Sweet Potatoes and two desserts.

These cookies owe their cocoa flavor and color to hot chocolate mix.  I used Starbucks Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate mix.  Anyone besides me ever have that at the actual restaurant?  I don’t think it’s still on the menu, but it was uh-mazing.  Like, it was so good I got one on my way to work then another one during my lunch hour that same day. 

It’s probably in the best interest of my pants still fitting that the flavor isn’t available any more.

Jen (a.k.a. Beantown Baker) had a good idea: she used an assortment of chips she found in her pantry in these cookies.  I followed suit and used butterscotch chips, toffee pieces, and a few semi-sweet chips.

DSC_0451

I used my scoop so my cookies would be uniform in size.  Once I plopped the dough (very precise cooking phrase there) onto my cookie sheet, I flattened it slightly with my fingers.

DSC_0456

DSC_0457

They didn’t spread too much so I was able to get a dozen to 14 cookies on each pan.

These cookies came together easily, baked up beautifully, and most importantly, were delicious.

DSC_0466

They had a slightly crunchy bottom that gave way to a chewy interior chock full of complementary flavors.

DSC_0470

DSC_0465

If you need to clean out your pantry, give these cookies a try.  I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

DSC_0463

DSC_0464

{Hot Chocolate Cookies}

No comments: