Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Triangle Expressway Trot

The McInlaws left our house at 12:15; we waved them off then hurried up to leave ourselves as we had Kim’s 5k to run that afternoon.

I’m referring to it as Kim’s race for two reasons: first because it’s a road that’s been a project of hers for quite a while and second because she helped organize the race.

The McHusband and I parked by Leigh and Mickey who had also just arrived.  That worked out well because I had my camera so Leigh was nice enough to snap a couple photos of us.

IMG_2695

We ran the race on a 1.5-mile stretch of the turnpike.  As far as 5k’s go, it was a fairly boring one since we weren’t going through interesting landscape or contending with any hills.  After my half-marathon and its inclines, though, flat and boring was fine with me.

I finished in 24 minutes, and the McHusband crossed the finish line in 26:33, which was a solid 30 seconds faster than his goal of about 27 minutes since he was shooting for an average of a nine-minute mile.

I may make a runner out of him yet!

You might notice that we’re not exactly dressed for November weather.  Sure, NC has a pretty mild fall, but that weekend was out of the ordinary for us.  The high that day was somewhere in the mid-seventies, almost uncomfortably warm for a 2:00 start time.

IMG_2696

We saw 17 people, who were either participating or spectating, that we knew out there.  I’ve run a number of races like this and I don’t think I’ve ever known more than 5 or maybe 7 people at them.

This was probably my last race until the spring, and I was glad to end my running season on a high note with good weather, a decent time, and no injuries.

1 comment:

McHusband said...

A 9 min/mile avg is just shy of 28 minutes and my previous 5k took me over 30 min (it was more hilly though) so finishing in 26 something came as a surprise! I still can't keep up with the flash-like McWifey though! :)