Sunday, May 10, 2009

Flowerpalooza '09

As has been our tradition since 2005, my mom spent Mother's Day weekend doing yardwork with us. Some people buy their moms flowers for Mother's Day, I make my mom plant them so I can enjoy them for months to come.

My mom came up on Thursday so we could have a solid two days in the yard. We did some planning that night, then were up early (by my standards, not hers) Friday morning in order to do our shopping. We hit a local nursery, Home Depot, Jersey Mike's for lunch, then went to the Farmer's Market to pick up some sod and my favorite flower for landscaping - vinca.

The McHusband left work a little early on Friday so he was home when we finally got there and we got right to work. His first assignment was to tear out the willow tree in the front yard. It didn't take much to get it out of the ground. In fact, the McHusband literally tore it from the ground with his bare hands. Do I hear a Tim Taylor grunt right about now?

McHusband vs. The Willow Tree:


And the Cleveland pear tree we got to replace the willow, with my mom hard at work at the mailbox:


We got the mailbox done, the new tree in, and a lot of pinestraw up Friday afternoon and evening. I think I'm going to wait until my "after" pictures are more impressive to share what we did at the mailbox so just bear with me and wait about a month so you can oooh and aaah and really mean it.

I was mainly on planting detail on Saturday. Here I am planting my, oh, 467th vinca. At least, it felt like I was up to that many. (Note the position of my right leg.)


See that semi-circle of sod in the background? That was one of the landscape architect's ideas that the McHusband and I really liked and were excited to implement.

Okay, my leg. By the time you've planted 467 vincas with your leg out like that, it's had a LOT of sun exposure. How much? About this much:


Oops. I have a similar line on both my arms where the cuff of my gloves covered my wrists.

The McMom gave me a metal stand to be used with a variety of pots stacked on top of each other that you... You know what? Let me just show you.


Thanks, McMom!

A storm rolled in right as we were finishing up Saturday evening so we were rushing to put things away when the first drops started falling. We were already looking pretty bad before the rain, but we looked especially bad afterward and, of course, I had to document it.


I'm going to do one "after" picture because I'm really proud of all our hard work even though the areas aren't quite finished yet. We need to add mulch and obviously the flower areas will look much better once the flowers grow a little.


You can see our extra sod on both sides of the sidewalk. We took out the natural area along most of the right side and sodded it in and of course there's that arch of sod to the left. I put vinca in along the curves where the sidewalk and driveway meet and also put a section of vinca in on the left before the arch. Further ahead by other curve to the front door, there's more vinca on both sides of the sidewalk.

To give you a better idea of what to expect, here's my vinca at the mailbox at the old house:


I hope to have some really great before and after pictures to share with everyone in about a month.

If either of the dads feel like visiting for Father's Day, we promise to make you feel REAL special that weekend. Just ask Mom how we treated her.

On second thought, you better not.

3 comments:

Gma said...

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY TO ME

I chatted with Steph last Sunday to finalize the game plan.
OMG - she found more Diamond Frost!
Two new shrubs planted - two less to worry about installing.
I was headed to Holly Springs for our annual Mother’s Day Weekend planting.

Friends have asked “shouldn’t Steph be the one traveling?”
It is after all, Mother’s Day Weekend. Yah know, the one time a year where kids acknowledge Mom?

I am the mother of three beautiful daughters with whom I am blessed to share a bond - specific to each one. Recently, the younger two gave me the joyous title of G’ma and a new meaning to each day. I spend time with each of them and the babies on a weekly basis and am always reminded how blessed I am to be able to do. I’M LOVING THE GRANDMA GIG and each and every moment spent with the babies and they were oh soooo right, it‘s different being a grandparent!

Steph, on the other hand, is three hours away and so DAGGUMED busy with Stephanie and Ryan LIFE! Sure, we “talk” just about every day via phone or email but it’s not the same as spending time with your kid. I live vicariously through her blog and I get to enjoy her company during her visits for holidays but let’s face it -- time during these trips to Charlotte is short and needs to be divided amongst all friends and family and is just never long enough and I’m reminded that I don’t make the trip to Holly Springs nearly enough.

And so it is that as the years fly by and we all are busy living our lives, one-on-one time happens once each year for me and Steph in the form of a certain weekend accompanied by plants. No matter which weekend of the month, Mother’s Day is reserved - it’s THE weekend and I have happily settled into the calendar. No other plans, no sisters, no babies -- just us. Whether shopping for plants, digging holes, hauling dirt or admiring the end result, I thoroughly enjoy my time with this beautiful young woman who I am so blessed to be able to say is my first-born daughter. And while I may not be able to take all the credit, I acknowledge that whatever part I had in it … I did good.

Sure, there was some landscaping beautification that occurred at the McMansion this past weekend. But in the end, the garden that was attended to was that belonging to me and Stephanie. And I ask you - what Mom could ask for a better way to spend Mother‘s Day weekend?

Mother’s Day. 2010. Holly Springs, NC. Count. Me. In.

Gina said...

Gorgeous! I planted a few vincas this weekend too...nowhere near 467 though : ) A few are starting to come up at the mailbox at your old house and it made us miss you guys! Your new tree is awesome, by the way, as is all your new landscaping! Want to tackle our backyard next???

Jenny said...

That was beautiful Gma and all your hard work looks beautiful as well! I can't wait to get up there to see it in a couple of weeks!!!